Need some wind therapy?

With 45+ years of riding experience, the team has developed a library of our favorite rides in Texas and points beyond. We call them our Twisted Rides. We thought it might be a good idea to share that experience and encourage you to do the same!

We partnered with MyRoute-app, a leading provider of route planning tools, to create and share the routes. Using the map below, Users are able to view and download the routes without registering with MyRoute-app. If you would like the ability to open/edit/save the routes, the User will be prompted to register with MyRoute-app and offered two subscription levels - Basic (free) and Gold (fee dependent on subscription term and payment method). Being an avid ride planner, I prefer the Gold level for the additional features and I also believe in supporting independent software developers who invest their time and talents to create useful applications for the motorcycle industry. As a Twisted Rides referral, you receive an extended evaluation period and special pricing if you choose the Gold level - so give it a shot!

What journey is on your bucket list? Click on a ride below and we'll show you the way!

Thursday, November 26, 2009

This, my Thanksgiving

It's Thanksgiving in the USA and despite the many challenges facing our world, we must remind ourselves that we still have much to be thankful for on this special day. For me, this Thanksgiving is about re-connecting with what matters most.

My middle child, Emily (a.k.a. Emmers), is the non-conforming, free spirited artist in the familiy. A couple of years ago, she surprised me with a charcoal sketching of my father as a birthday present. The sketch, based on a picture taken at my oldest daughter's wedding, captures Dad in his "think before you talk" pose, with his hand reaching up to remove his beloved pipe, just before he is about to share his quick wit or years of wisdom on the topic of the moment. Needless to say, the sketch was framed and is prominantly displayed in our house. She is so gifted...and she doesn't even know it.

Emmers has had a tough go after graduating in May with a Bachelors in Art History. Eager to start a life of her own, the tough economy has prevented her from finding that perfect first real job. The search has been exhausting and, I suspect, downright depressing when one of the few interviews doesn't yield the expected outcome. Sadly, I know she is not alone in her quest. I read yesterday that 46% of American youth between the ages of 16 and 24 are unemployed today.

Being a very pragmatic, business-type myself, I tend to think in terms of reading a market trend and planning for the future, all while enjoying a little bit of the Road today. When it comes to education and work ethic, I'm admittedly hard on the kids because life doesn't cut you many breaks. So I tend to ride her pretty hard about how aggressively she is - or isn't - pursuing work on any given day.

So, as you might deduce, we haven't always seen eye-to-eye lately...

But Emmers continues the search while pursuing her real passion...writing. Seems she has used the downtime since graduation to complete her debut novel, the first of a romantic vampire themed trilogy. We've had a professional editor review the book and she advised that it is definately publishing-caliber material, so the search for the right literary agent is on. This kid definately has talent.

Similar to a cat, Emmers expresses her love on her terms. And for what ever reason, we have always been able to connect when it comes to a motorcycle cruise. She definately has a way of making her old man feel special when she nudges me and says, "Come on, Pops, let's take a ride." Then again, I need little tempting. I have no doubt that she will end up having her own bike at some point in her life. But for now, I'm going to hold our two-up ride times near and dear to the heart.  
 
So this morning, as the outside temp approached 60 degrees and the turkey was cooking away in the oven, Emmers gives me the nudge, despite knowing that her mother had but one request of me on this Thanksgiving - no cruises while the extended family is here visiting. I told you, Emmers does things on her own terms.
 
After a little negotiating with Mom, we're into our riding leathers and on our way. We barely say a word for the first hour of the ride. None was needed. We were both enjoying the cool fall breeze and the sights and occasional smells along the way. As we reached the turn-around point, I stopped for gas and some beer for the crowd back at the house (one of the negotiation "gives").
 
That's when it happened...
 
As we were getting back on the bike, she caught me unprepared and when she stepped on the footboard to get on-board, I lost balance and down we went. It was the first (public) drop of the new bike. Yes, I confess, I did have a private drop while turning around on a narrow county road about a month after taking delivery of the new wheels.  But in my defense, the Ultra Classic IS a little top-heavy and the road WAS extremely narrow...and uneven. And when I put my foot down, Newton's Law just took over. But it wasn't that bad, at least that time it was in dirt!
 
So we quickly upright the bike, get on, and off we go. Emmers was afraid to say anything or even adjust for comfort in the seat, fearing I was pissed about dropping the new bike. I wasn't pissed, just confused about how I could have dropped it...again. I've been riding for over thirty-five years and never had it happen before this bike. Must have been the 30-pack of beer that I put in the tour-pak, I surmised. About five minutes down the road, Emmers taps me on the back and says, "Damn, guess we don't look cool anymore." I about lost it laughing.
 
So, once again, one of my children has taught me a lesson about life. It doesn't matter that work is crazy, along with half the world around us, or that you might have put a scratch on one of your prized possessions...or your ego. What matters most is spending time with family and friends...laughing and doing what you love with those you love.
 
On this special holiday, I hope you spent some time on the Road with someone you love too. Happy Thanksgiving.
 
LEGAL DISCLAIMER. No bike was actually scratched, dented, or otherwise damaged on this journey. And for the record, Emmers, that's strike one!

© 2009 TRHG Holdings LLC

No comments: